- Stand with the feet together or about 10 cm apart, and the arms by the sides.
- Steady the body and distribute the weight equally on both feet.
- Raise the arms over the head. Interlock the fingers and turn the palms upward.
- Place the hands on top of the head.
- Fix the eyes at a point on the wall slightly above the level of the head.
- The eyes should remain fixed on this point throughout the practice.
- Inhale and stretch the arms, shoulders and chest upward.
- Raise the heels coming up onto the toes.
- Stretch the whole body from top to bottom, without losing balance or moving the feet.
- Hold the breath and the position for a few seconds.
- At first it may be difficult to maintain balance but with practice it becomes easier.
- Lower the heels while breathing out and bring the hands to the top of the head. This is one round.
- Relax for a few seconds before performing the next round.
Practise 5 to 10 rounds.
The breath should be synchronised with the raising and lowering of the arms.